All Coaches, Assistant Coaches, Board Members, Parent Helpers and Volunteers,
Any adult applying for an unpaid position as a volunteer that will have direct contact with children is required to get the following clearances:
- Pennsylvania State Police Criminal Record Check (PSP)
- Child Abuse History Clearance from the Pennsylvania Department of Human Services (Child Abuse).
- A fingerprint based Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) criminal history- if the volunteer has lived outside the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in the last ten years. Volunteers who are not required to obtain the FBI Clearance because they have been a continuous resident of Pennsylvania for the past ten years must swear or affirm in writing that they are not disqualified from service.
All volunteers will be required to obtain these clearances every 60 months. Gov. Tom Wolfe has waived the fees for the PSP Criminal Record Check and the Child Abuse History Clearance. Volunteers must still pay for the FBI Criminal Background check if they have lived outside of Pennsylvania within the past ten (10) years.
- Pennsylvania State Police (PSP) Criminal Record Check- Waived effective July 25, 2015
- Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance (Child Abuse)- Waived effective July 25, 2015
- FBI Criminal Background check through PA Dept. of Human Services- $27.50
If you work/volunteer for a school district, human services organization, etc., and already have the required clearances UMYA will accept copies of those documents. UMYA will not reimburse for any clearances already secured for other jobs/volunteer service.
You will be responsible for completing the clearances up front. They can all be applied for electronically. The FBI clearance also requires payment and a fingerprint submission. Once completed, you will receive certificates that you will provide to UMYA for record keeping purposes. Please be sure that you are submitting the official certificates, not the confirmation page. An example is available here.
The links below will get you started for each check you need. Remember, you only need to get the FBI Criminal Background Check if your have not resided in the State of Pennsylvania for 10 consecutive years to this date.
Any questions at all, feel free to contact Matt Skekel - UMYA President at
PA Child Abuse Check - http://keepkidssafe.pa.gov/
Pennsylvania State Police Background Check - https://epatch.state.pa.us/Home.jsp
FBI Criminal Background Check through Cogent - https://www.pa.cogentid.com/index.htm
Once you have received your clearances -
Note: On some devices the email link does not work as intended. Here is the workaround:
1. Compose an email to email@example.com
2. Make the subject: UMYA Background Checks
3. Make the first line in the body of the email: UMYA Background Checks
4. Add your full name (some times the email address is not descriptive enough to identify the sender)
5. Attach your documents